Thursday 10 April 2014

"..there is still no cure for the common birthday" #22

"Despite all the advances in science, there is still no cure for the common birthday"
I've lived (and sworn) by that quote by John Green ever since the eve of my sixteenth birthday, which, ironically ended up being anything but sweet — I wasn't allowed to cut a cake in school (which was a HUGE deal back then). Alright, I'm digressing.
Each year, when the tenth of April rolls around, I become rather irked because that means turning another year older, having added responsibilities and therefore supposedly wiser - if you know me, you'll know the latter bit doesn't hold true about me, for the most part. The past four years in particular have marked a few milestones in terms of my biological clock - my eighteenth (a.k.a the obligation of voting responsibly, acquiring a legal permit to drive and to get married *gags at thought*) and my twenty-first (a.k.a legally being able to purchase and consume alcohol in 14 Indian states).
Still, despite my many misgivings, I had the best start to my birthday in years, thanks to my room-mate and three of my closest friends. In keeping with tradition, they gave me a cake, a notebook and a cute little note/photo-holder - all of which I absolutely love! Since having 'Happy Birthday' iced on the cake is too mainstream, they got "Possum :3" written instead. (For the significance of that, check out the roomie's blogpost about me here.) I couldn't quite tell what I liked best about last night —

  • The fact that after planning with said friends, my room-mate went all the way to the city (our campus is 45mins away from civilization) and instead of meeting her parents (who have arrived in Pune to pick her up, now that college has ended), arranged for my cake (Death By Chocolate - what can only be described as divine!) from one of my favourite patisseries.
  • The notebook and note/photo-holder that she and Hippoh gifted me.
  • As if that wasn't enough, the fact that they got the confectioner to write "Possum :3" on the cake - which made me giggle because I'd imagine the struggle they must have gone through, to make the former comprehend their request.
  • Or, you know, that my face wasn't smeared with cake. Hah!


I can safely say that this had to be the perfect end to a less-than-perfect journey that was SIMC, and I have my friends to thank. :')

*******


PS: Apart from Bingo, 22 shall remind me of the song "22" by Taylor Swift - "It feels like a perfect night for breakfast at midnight," so excuse me while I go raid the remaining grub left in my wardrobe.
*tears opens a packet of Chocos*

2 comments: